Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

I can't believe it's 2009!! We had a pretty mellow New Year's Eve, just our family watching the Space Needle display on TV and doing some noisemakers outside at midnight.

Today I am serving up a good luck meal. Many countries have traditions about foods that you should eat on New Year's Day to bring you luck in the coming year. In the USA, it's usually a southern meal of pork, greens, black eyed peas and cornbread with each food symbolizing something. You can find information about this on many websites but this site has some good, basic information So, I put a ham in the crock pot the morning, made Hoppin' John, chard and cornbread to bring in 2009 because we can all use a little good luck! (Please note that this is NOT the "New Year's resolution to getting back on your diet" meal but what's one more day?)

Are you making resolutions this year? I usually don't but I do use the transition to a new year as a time for reflection. This year I REALLY want to get more organized which will mean some serious cleaning and purging. I started by taking a load of stuff to charity on New Year's Eve (tax deadline for donations, you know). I cleaned my small appliance cabinet and Kayla's fish tank (yuck). My craft room is what needs a serious over haul and I'm determined to get it done this year. I know it will make my crafting time so much more enjoyable (and I might find some things that I forgot I had).

What traditions do you have to bring in the New Year? Are you making resolutions and if so, what are they?

No comments: